Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

W4DW- One Step Macaroni and Cheese

In honor of dairy month, here is my kid's favorite Macaroni and Cheese recipe.  Here is a little bit of dairy trivia for you:  California is the number 1 milk producing state, but Wisconsin is the number 1 cheese production state.  

This is has been another one of those catch up weeks for me. The Farmer is still busy planting and spraying in the fields.  I have now spent 2 days in the office trying to get paperwork done for crop insurance and the bills paid.  I am finally starting to get my head above water at least.  I still have a lot to enter into my Quick Books though.  :(  The boys are into the final week of swimming lessons.  My father in law cut all the oats without me even going to the field once. Bless his sweet little heart!

My kids are like most kids-they love Macaroni and Cheese.  They even like my mom's baked version as well as that little blue box.  They were so excited when I made it for them.

I have set up a Facebook page that I try to update daily with the farm happenings.   http://www.facebook.com/AKansasFarmMom

One Step Macaroni and Cheese



Start with 2 cups of uncooked macaroni.  I am a cook that loves as little prep work as possible, so not having to boil the macaroni is great for me!



Add 3.5 cups milk.  Did you know that is takes 2 days for a cow's body to convert food into milk?



Add 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce. 



Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.  When the 4-H'ers and I were on the state Geology trip, we learned about salt production in Kansas.  There was an inland sea that left a massive salt deposit under central Kansas.  Last year, I toured the part of the salt mine that was featured on Dirty Jobs.  They use soy biodiesel in the mine because it burns so much cleaner than regular diesel.



Add 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese.  It is said that Wisconsin's lush grasslands and glacial water supply make the state a perfect location for cheese making.



Combine the ingredients in a greased 7x11 inch baking dish.



Bake covered with foil at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

 



Top with another cup of cheese and bake uncovered 10 minutes.



Let stand 10 minutes before serving.




One Step Macaroni and Cheese

2 cups uncooked macaroni
3.5 cups milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
2.5 cups cheddar cheese, divided

 Combine first 4 ingredients plus  1.5 cups of cheese in 7x11 baking dish.  Baked covered with foil at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.  Uncover and top with remaining cheese.  Bake uncovered 10 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

A Kansas Farm Mom

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This is one of my kids favorite recipes. They do a happy dance when I start to make it. LOL

      Delete
  2. Mac and cheese is one of my favorite things. Thank you for the easy recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mac and cheese... yum, haven't had it for years... Love your stories too. thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and hope to see you there again this week with some great recipes.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. One step sounds good to me! Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog Thank You for sharing this blog. i was searching for pasta related blog. this blog is very helpful for me pasta online
    Buy Pasta Online
    for more details CLICK HERE

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.