Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

W4DW-Henry Ford Chocolate Chip Soybean Cookies


Soybeans in cookies???  When I saw this recipe, I thought hmmm that sounds different.  My son is making a basket of goodies for the fair that has something made from all the things we grow on our farm-corn, wheat, oats, soybeans and cattle.  I thought this recipe might just be perfect.  He made these for the fair yesterday.

Aren't you impressed that I had a soybean stalk laying around the house from K Farm Day to lay next to the plate?

I did a little more research and found that soynuts can actually be substituted in any recipe for tree nuts.  This idea really hit home with me as our elementary school is totally nut free.  My younger son has a classmate that is incredibly allergic to nuts.  I am definitely going to make sure her mom knows where she can buy some soynuts!  


 



Soy is found in almost 75% of the items you find in a grocery store.  Amazing!  Read any vegetable oil label and you will find that it is actually soybean oil.  The first ingredient in Crisco-Soybeans.  If there is one food that you do not want to be allergic to, I think it would be soy.  I really do feel sorry for anyone with a soy food allergy.  Reading labels at the grocery store would be so depressing.

The recipe is named after Henry Ford who actually grew up on a farm in Michigan.  Mr. Ford used soybeans for many industrial uses long before it was commonplace.  Today the Ford Motor Car Company still uses soy in the manufacture of its cars.  Here is a video I found about the use of soy foam in Ford Cars.

If you are interested in finding more soy food recipes you might check out Charlene Patton’s recipe page.  She works with the Kansas Soybean Commission and does TV segments on our local television station.  We all call her the soy lady.   Here is also a page for Soy Foods Month that you might like as well.

I have to be honest.  We did change the recipe a little bit.  
  1.  I prefer to use butter flavor Crisco in some of my baking instead of margarine .  
  2.  I looked at the only large grocery store I have been to in the last 2 months (due to my extreme work schedule) and could not find the soy flour, so we left it out and used 4 cups of all-purpose flour.   
  3. Finally, my family is somewhat allergic to large amounts of chocolate (long story), so I only put half of the chocolate chips in the batter.  My boys are just excited they get to make and eat chocolate chip cookies.

Henry Ford Chocolate Chip Soybean Cookies

3 cups light brown sugar
2 cups margarine or butter flavor Crisco
4 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup defatted soy flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups roasted unsalted soybean nuts
4 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, cream brown sugar and margarine with electric mixer for 2 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time and beat until light and fluffy.  In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and add to sugar mixture.  Beat in milk and vanilla.  Stir in soybeans and chocolate chips.  Spray baking sheets with non-stick vegetable coating.  Drop cookie batter onto baking sheets with a teaspoon.  Bake for 8-1o minutes.
Yield:  approximately 10 dozen cookies

Have a great week everyone!

-A Kansas Farm Mom

Linked to:
Pink Hippo Party #100

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.