Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

W4DW- Jalapeno Poppers

What's 4 Dinner Wednesday?

The last week has been a fun filled time spent with my boys at the local fair. I love it when I can spend time with them outside of a combine or tractor cab! We have been doing a lot of baking and putting finishing touches on numerous items for the fairs.

Our area is in a pretty severe drought, but one thing that seems to handle the heat and dry weather well is the hot peppers in the garden. They are still producing like crazy. Early this summer we attended a covered dish dinner with our Limousin cattle friends and I got this recipe for amazingly simple, surprisingly unbelievably good Jalapeno Poppers. If you still have some extras in your garden, you might want to try this with them. The banana peppers were pretty good as well!


First you will want to take the seeds out of the peppers.  It is best to wear gloves to do this.  The oil from the hot peppers can stay on your hands for a long time.  If you rub your eyes or nose, it will burn and cause some major irritation.  It is always better to be safe than sorry!


After you get the seeds out, you have 2 lovely little pepper bowls.


I then filled them with cream cheese.  My dad made them the other day and added some Old Bay Seasoning to the cream cheese, but I prefer them with plain cream cheese.  I am a self proclaimed lover of cream cheese.


I placed my peppers in a baking dish.  We also tried to make them on the grill.  If you want to cook them on the grill, I suggest placing them in a baking pan as they did not have the same flavor.


Next, you are going to wrap them in bacon, but first I would like to give you my bacon buying tutorial.  Bacon packages have a convenient window on the back of the package that allows you to see how much meat or fat you are buying in the package.  It always amazes me how much difference there can be from one package to the next of the same brand of bacon.


Wrap the cream cheese stuffed peppers with bacon.  Depending on the size of the peppers, I used any where from 1/4 of a strip of bacon to 1/2.


Place in a baking dish.  I baked these in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the bacon was done.  As I said before, you can cook them on the grill, but I think they need to cook in a pan for at least part of the cooking, so the bacon seasonings soak into the peppers.


That's it!  Enjoy!  Amazingly simple, but OH so good!

Keep praying for rain everyone!  The crops are still holding on here, but it is going to have to rain soon if the soybeans are going to make anything.  The grass is disappearing rapidly and the cows would sure appreciate it if it would cool off a little.  The weather forecast is for it to be really hot and dry for the next week.  Sure hope the air conditioner doesn't quit!

Have a great week everyone!

-A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.