Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

W4DW- Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies


Corn harvest is in full swing here in Southeast Kansas-about one month ahead of normal due to the drought.  I haven’t been in the kitchen much for the last couple of weeks.  We spent a lot of time at the county fair, then we went on vacation for 3 days only to come home and go straight to the corn field.  My house looks like a tornado went through the middle of it.  Oh well, I guess I can clean house after corn harvest and when the boys are in school. 

Here is one of our favorite cookie recipes that my little 4-H member made for the county fair.  These have a very different taste than most cookies, but we really like them.  They are a great way to sneak whole grains to your kids.  This recipe uses grated orange peel for flavoring and we found the best way to “grate” orange peel is to use a lemon zester.  This is a recipe that I even made when I was in 4-H that I found from the Kansas Wheat Commission.


Whole Wheat Cookies

      1 cup sugar                                                     ½ teaspoon baking soda
      ½ cup butter, softened                                  ½ teaspoon salt
      1 large egg                                                     ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
      2 tablespoons 1% milk                                 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract                            Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture:
      2 cups whole wheat flour                             ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
      1 teaspoon baking powder                          2 tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 375o F. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and butter until
    light and fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla extract; beat well.
Combine whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and
    orange peel. Gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing until blended.
In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar. Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
    Place balls 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten each dough ball with the
    bottom of a dampened glass dipped in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Bake 9-10 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan and cool on wire racks.
    Makes 3 dozen cookies.

        Nutritional Analysis: One cookie provides 73 calories, 1 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, 13 mg cholesterol,
        1 g dietary fiber, 13 mg calcium 32 mg potassium and 66 mg sodium.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

 This recipe is featured on "Host Blog Link" and  http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.com  Linky Party

8 comments:

  1. Our daughter used this recipe for 4-H, too (many years ago)! I'm glad to discover your blog after you were linked to Kansas Wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! Glad you have found my blog. Feel free to follow me on FaceBook as well. Now that harvest is over maybe I can figure out how to put the Facebook button on the Blog. Have a great day! http://www.facebook.com/AKansasFarmMom?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog. I have just signed up as a follower. Please drop by to Carole's Chatter and check it out. You might like my Food on Friday series which focuses on a different ingredient. Last week it was Pork. This week it is slow cooker dishes. If you like my blog it would be great if you followed me back. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I love the thought of sneaking whole grains into something sweet. Very good recipe to share at Foodie Friends Friday. Thank you for sharing. Have a great weekend! And my thoughts on house cleaning....the mess and clutter shows that love lives there....Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! I will have to give it a try very soon! Stopping by from Foodie Friends blog hop.
    -Robyn from http://tipsfromtheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. this recipe looks delicious. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Newest follower here.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comments everyone. We have been busy all weekend and technology has not been good to me! Glad to see some new followers. Hope I can help you learn a little about how your food is raised on our family farm.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.