Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

W4DW-Mediterranean Steak Salad



Recently, I was invited to visit the My Plate My Way interactive recipe selection tool by the Kansas Beef Council.  I answered 8 simple questions to help identify what type of cook I am and recommended recipes for my cooking style.   The Farmer was not surprised that it identified me as a Cost Slicer.  I am the one that hardly ever goes to the grocery store without coupons and a list of items to pick up out of the weekly sales ad. 

As someone who raises their own beef, I hardly ever buy meat at the grocery store, but the web site did recommend the lean cuts of Top Sirloin and Flank steak.  It went on to say that these cuts are on special regularly and are great to stock up on.  My Plate, My Way recommended that I try Mediterranean Steak Salad or Chimichurri Steak Wraps.  These 2 recipes use a leftover steak from a previous meal just like my Steak and Pasta Salad.

 If you would like to take the My Plate, My Way quiz and find your own personal cooking style with recommended recipes click here.



 Mediterranean Steak Salad


Ingredients

12 ounces grilled beef steak, cut into slices
3 medium oranges
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 fresh figs, stems removed, cut into quarters
6 cups fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup drained canned chickpeas
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese or other blue cheese

Instructions

  1. Grate peel and squeeze juice from 1 orange. The easiest way to grate the peel is with the use of a lemon zester.  It makes fine shreds of the peel and doesn't go too deep into the bitter white pith of the orange.  Whisk 1/4 cup of orange juice, 1 tablespoon orange peel and oil in small bowl. Set aside. Peel and cut segments from remaining 2 oranges. Set aside.
  2. Assemble salad by layering spinach, beans, onion, figs, orange segments and steak slices. Top with nuts and cheese. Drizzle with orange dressing.

A few notes from me:
  1. I really didn't think my kids would eat figs.  If you follow the link to the Recipe on the Beef council site it tell you how to rehydrate the figs, but also tells you that peaches, nectarines, sweet plums or fresh pineapple can be substituted.  We opted for peaches and pineapple.
  2. The link will also tell you how to segment the orange-if you need help with that.
-A Kansas Farm Mom


You might also enjoy reading these bloggers review of recipes on the My Plate My Way:
Cooking with Barry and Meta-   Beef Breakfast Pizza Ole'
                                                    Sumptuous Steak Stir Fry   
Kim's County Line-  Farmer's Market Vegetable Beef and Brown Rice Salad
Tenderloin, Cranberry and Pear Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
courtneyfos.com      Mojo Beef Kabobs
Mama Dweeb          Beef Breakfast Pizza Ole'
A Farm Wife's Life   Smoky T-Bones with Chunky BBQ Sauce
Life of Meg        Balsamic Marinated Flank Steak
The Guavalicious Life  Steak Salad
superdumb supervillan   Korean Style Beef and Rice Bowls
Giving up on Perfect     Shredded Beef Tacos
Sandy a la Mode    Filet Mignon with Herb Butter Sauce and Mushrooms
On My Dish
Kansas City Mamas

Shared on:
Pinkapotamus: Under 300 Followers Blog Hop
Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop
Foodie Friends Friday



3 comments:

  1. This looks really good! Going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a light and refreshing salad. Quite a but different from my usual crock pot cooking. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and remember to come back and vote today.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.