Pin It button on image hover

Sunday, September 23, 2012

What A Kansas Farm Mom Does when She Isn't Farming


I was recently asked to do a post on what farmers do when they aren’t farming.  Well, I couldn’t answer that in just one post it was going to take at least two.  Since I am a farm wife, what I do on the farm when we aren’t "farming" is different than what my husband, The Farmer, is doing when we aren't "farming." 

First post, the Farm Wife:

Clean House-After long hours in the field, alongside my husband and with 2 boys living in the house, my house can look like a tornado ran through it.  Most of the time it is just dishes, laundry and sorting through a mountain of mail.  Which brings us to the next item…


Pay Bills and update the accounting software. I have found if I keep up on things all year it makes the tax season much less painful.

Volunteer for community activities
  • I am co-chairman for the PTO Book Fair.  We have a great time raising funds to buy new books for the libraries at our school.
  • I serve on the Imagination Library Board of Directors locally.  This is a great program for pre-school kids.  Check out the link and consider starting a fundraising drive in your area.  
  • My fellow farm wives joined me last week in a fundraiser for our hospital foundation where we answered questions about ag.
 
I cook often when I am not in the field.  As you can tell on my recipe page, I love to have food in the freezer that is ready to be thawed out and eaten.  When I get home at 9 pm, the last thing I want to do is cook a meal.  At least if I have things in the freezer, even The Farmer can warm up supper for the boys if he beats me home.

Youth Program Leaders-  I am by no means an expert in Geology, but due to my son’s interest in rocks and fossils I am the county leader for Geology.  I have learned right alongside my son, but to the kids in our county I am a “Rock Star.”

Yard Maintenance-  I am always ashamed at how my yard, flower beds, and gardens look especially after wheat harvest.  I know several farm wives that have gorgeous flower beds that are maintained a little bit every day in between running for their husbands-maybe when I don’t have kids to keep me busy.  I know I will miss these days and my yard can look lovely when the boys are too busy for me.

The flower bed the boys and I planted this spring with plants I have found over the years at plant exchanges.

Youth Education-  I love to go to the school and talk about farming and ranching.  The kids love to see the a baby calf that is only a few hours old.  I just love to do the Kindergarten Farm Day.


Projects with the kids-  My boys are in 4-H, so we always have something going on: trying a new recipe, identifying fossils, preparing a new speech for competition, the list could go on and on.


It took me quite a while to come up with this list.  I never really thought about what I do when I am not farming. It is a fabulous life and I wouldn’t change one thing about it and I feel blessed to raise my kids with me at my job as A Kansas Farm Mom.
My youngest trying to avoid a nap by playing on his DS in the combine.
Have a great week everyone!  -A Kansas Farm Mom

5 comments:

  1. Groceries, groceries and more groceries, that FEELS like all I get done when I am not helping my Farmer......... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KH, I am sure with 4 boys all you do is buy groceries. My friends laugh that I don't drive the 20 miles to Walmart, but I can be in and out of our local grocery store before I drive to Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi had a question! If you don't mind sharing! I was wondering what software you use for your farm accounting books? Is it ag related or just Quickbooks type? We are searching for a new one so wanted to get any advice before buying some! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I can really help you with that selection. We just use Quickbooks. It works well with our accountant to be able to send files to him. I should take the time to get it set up correctly though. You can set it up to track repairs for each piece of equipment and lots of other things, but I just haven't ever taken the time. I have tried some of the "farm" related programs and just wasn't really impressed with them. If I remember correct, Quick Books is quite a bit cheaper than the ag related software as well. They had some ways of setting things up that didn't work for our operation and the way we deal with our local suppliers. I have been happy with QuickBooks and I keep all of our individual field budgets on Excel. That way I can change them to fit out situation, because as we all know all of our farms are different and so is the way we do record keeping. GOOD LUCK!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks! I agree, our accountant would like Quickbooks. I am leaning towards it. We did try an ag related one, but found we didn't care for it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.