Pin It button on image hover

Monday, October 8, 2012

An October Tradition- Ghosting



The Farmer has been busy planting wheat and since we no-till farm, I have been busy with my own projects.  I still have to keep the seed wheat trailer to the field so he doesn’t run out of seed, but the boys and I have time to do other things as well.  One of our favorite October activities is “Ghosting.”  My brother in law told us about this activity several years ago.  I like this activity, because you do something nice for someone else and don’t expect anything in return.  Halloween is too much about what kind of candy and how much they can get.

So here is how it goes.  I put together some goody bags of Halloween supplies.  If I remember, I try to buy these items on clearance and store them for the following year.  I don’t usually do a lot of candy, but instead have decorations, spider rings, even some Halloween shirts, themed plates, napkins, cups, etc.


I also include a note that explains the ghosting process.  I have left it plain, because I don’t want people to be overwhelmed with the thought of Ghosting.  It should be fun for everyone involved and the kids honestly don’t care what they get.  The surprise of getting a gift is too much fun for them.  I just draw a very simple ghost for them to hang on the door.

Happy Halloween!
"You've Been Ghosted"
  • Now it's your turn to "ghost" two other people in your neighborhood.
  • You should "ghost" these people within 2 days of receiving your treat.
  • Hang the ghost on your front door so that everyone can see that you have been "ghosted" and will not ghost you again. This will also let you know who you can ghost.
  • Fill 2 bags with candy and treats. Copy this letter and the ghost twice. Include treats, letter, and ghost in your bag of goodies for the neighbors that you choose.
  • After dark, and only with an adult, "ghost" 2 of your neighbors. Do not let the person that you are "ghosting" see you, for it adds to the fun of it all. Place the treat bag on the doorstep, ring the doorbell and run!
  • Let’s see how many ghosts we can make appear before Halloween!

Next, we have to pick someone to ghost.  Since we live in the country, we always try to pick at least one family outside the city limits.  We have found that it is much easier to Ghost in town than the country.  The first year we did only rural houses.  We got caught at the last house and ended up eating supper with them.  LOL Only in rural American!

The idea is to leave the goodie bag on the front porch, ring the doorbell and RUN!!  The Farmer almost killed himself one year running off a porch.  Last night it took the boys 3 times before they finally knocked on the door.  I couldn’t believe we didn’t get caught since we were driving the diesel farm truck that is really loud and we parked outside this house for what seemed like 10 minutes.  

Ghosting in the country takes a knowledge of how to keep the headlights turned off on your car.  These new automatic headlights make it a bit more difficult but not impossible.  It also helps if you are friends with your friend’s dogs or you know when they won’t be home.  I only know these because I have had friends use both tactics.

Last year, we ghosted the boys Kindergarten teacher only to find out she had taken her ghost down the day before.   Lesson:  Don’t take your ghost down until after Halloween. 

Happy Ghosting!  Let me know about your adventures in Ghosting!

-A Kansas Farm Mom

The Farmer's view while planting wheat this week.

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this before, but what a great idea! Even though my kids aren't home any more, I may have to try it myself and I am definitely passing it along to my daughter. Our granddaughter is too young this year, but what a great family tradition! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had friends that delivered goodies to older neighbors without kids and they enjoyed it too. I am sure my parents would have done this. When you live in the country, you don't get very many trick or treaters and this would be a great way to take the treats to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did something like that in our office one year. All the more fun to do it in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would certainly be easier in an office. Be careful after dark...some landscaping leaves obstacles that are hard to see.

      Delete
  4. What a fun tradition!
    Hello, new follower here! I would love to have you link up with my Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/autumn-giveaway-clever-chicks-blog-hop-4.html
    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have great fun! Thanks for the invite, I will certainly go check out your blog hop! Welcome as a new follower.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.