Pin It button on image hover

Friday, December 7, 2012

W4DW- Nut Free No Bake Cookies



It's not Wednesday, but I have another recipe to share with you this week.   I hope you enjoy this one as much as my kids do.  They can even make them by themselves.

The holidays are upon us and that means almost everyone is looking for yummy cookies and candies to make.  My oldest son made this recipe for the county fair this last year.  One of his cousins had made it before and won Grand Champion, so he really wanted to try it out.  I kept asking what was so special about THIS no bake cookie that it could beat muffins and baked cookies.  Her dad would say, “It’s like eating a candy bar.”  After trying it myself, I agree it IS like eating a candy bar.

My youngest son is in a school that has a student with a severe nut allergy.  Nothing is allowed in the school that has nuts or has what I call the nut allergy statement on the packaging.  We used to grow sunflowers on our farm and learned about Sunbutter.  It is a peanut butter substitute made from sunflowers and therefore contains no nuts.  My kids really like it, so I thought we would try this cookies with the Sunbutter.  Turns out my boys really liked them.  Our local drug store, Porter Drugs, carries Sunbutter in their gift section.  Everyone always seems to want to try it before they buy it.  If you are in town this weekend for the Christmas parade, be sure to stop by and try one of these cookies made with Sunbutter and if you did stop by and are visiting my blog for the first time to get the recipe-THANK YOU!  I hope you will come back again and see what we are doing on the farm.

Chocolate Yummies

1 cup sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
1 cup chocolate chips
1 ½ cups Sunbutter or peanut butter
3 cups crisp rice cereal
1 cup mini marshmallows

Heat sugar and corn syrup and boil 1 minute.  Remove from heat.  Add chocolate chips, peanut butter and cereal.  Stir until well mixed.  Add marshmallows and mix well, but do not over stir.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.