Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

W4DW- Hello Dolly Bars

What's for Dinner Wednesday?  A recipe my kids can make all by themselves!  My boys love to help out in the kitchen.  They like it even better if I sit on the other side of the counter and stay out of the way!  These bar cookies have lots of names that I have heard over the years
  • Magic Cookies
  • 7 Layer Bars
  • Hello Dolly Bars
We like to call them Hello Dolly Bars just because we made them for a 4-H demonstration and it made for a cute talk.  :)

Hello Dolly Bars

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch or peanut butter chips
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 can sweetened condensed milk

I like to make them in a 9x13 inch baking dish.  Most recipes call for 1 cup of graham crackers, but we prefer to make them with 2 cups mixed with 1/2 cup butter.  Press this mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.   Layer the other ingredients in order and pour sweetened condensed milk over the top.  DO NOT STIR.  Bake at 350*F for 25 minutes.  Cool and cut into bars. 

The next time the kids say we need cookies for school don't say "Oh No!"  instead say "Hello Dolly!!"

-A Kansas Farm Mom

1 comment:

  1. I have made these to take to 4-H meetings and the kids always love them. Like the idea of adding peanut butter chips or butter scotch. May try that next time.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.