Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

30 Minute Oatmeal Pecan Squares

Growing up, I thought my mom was one of the best cooks on earth, and I still do think that.  What I have found out over the years that she has lots of tried and true recipes that she loves.  Most of them come from little paperback church and 4-H cookbooks.  Most were published several years back when almost everyone actually cooked and only went out to eat for special occasions.

Growing up we called these cookies Mary Charlton Cookies, because that is who made them for the church dinners and who entered the recipe in the Presbyterian Church Cookbook back in the 1970's.  My mom still remembers helping to type the cookbook.  There was no fancy company to typeset everything and make it look pretty.  Nope just farm moms and hard working volunteers who took on the labor of love.

My mom loves this recipe.  She usually make a double batch in a 9x13 inch pan.  She tells everyone she can walk in the house make these bars, take a shower, change clothes and be ready to go to a potluck dinner in 30 minutes!  My mom is amazing.

We loved these cookies growing up and I hope you do, too.




Oatmeal Pecan Squares

1 stick butter
1 egg
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
¼ t. baking powder
½ t. salt
¾ cup oatmeal
¼ cup shredded coconut
¾ cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400*.  Place stick of butter in 7x11 inch baking dish and place in oven. 
Combine egg and sugar.  Add flour, baking powder, salt and oatmeal.  Pour in melted butter and mix well.  Add coconut and pecans and mix.
Pour batter back into baking dish you melted the butter in.
Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to pin this recipe and will have to try it for my next church potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful. Have you ever tried Splenda in place of the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried Splenda in this recipe, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.