Pin It button on image hover

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pecan Pie

Pecan Pie was always a staple for my family at the holidays.  I know it had to be a staple in my husband's family.  My father in law has been collecting pecans for the last several weeks.  He has tons of trees that he has grafted and has these amazing pecans.  This year was a great harvest for him.

I was at the grocery store last week and overheard someone ask if they still had the "Pecan Pie Mix."  I was speechless.  I mean even my kids can mix a pecan pie.  (This recipe is on my Cooking with Kids List.)  The ingredient list is actually quite simple and staples that most people have in their pantry if they bake very much at all.

This recipe is one that my mom has made as long as I can remember.  If you are on low sugar or low calorie diets, this is not your pie.  My husband even likes to put whipped topping on top of his pecan pie.  Yeah, he doesn't have to worry about calories.

Mocked Pecan Pie


1- 9 inch unbaked pie shell
1/4 pound (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup pecans, my husband adds more
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix butter, sugars and eggs together and mix well.  Then add remaining ingredients.  Pour into unbaked pie shell.  Bake at 350* for one hour.  Let cool completely before serving.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.