Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Little Farmer and his Corn Week #10

I am not complaining about the rain, but I am pretty sure (in my mind at least) that it has rained every day for the last 3 weeks.  Well, that may be an exaggeration, but the rainy days are sure starting to run together.  Most days we don't get an abundance of rain, but it is enough to keep us out of the fields and definitely keeps the hay equipment in the barns.

The little farmer is about to get lost in his corn field.  The corn is loving the rain and loves it even better when the sun decides to shine.

 I think he had to stand on his tiptoes to see over the corn this week.  Notice, you can't see the dirt between the rows any longer.  Farmers call that canopy.
.
  Next week we will see the corn tassel popping out from this leaf.

The brace roots we talked about last week are getting bigger and stronger as the plant gets taller and needs more support at the base to stand tall against the Kansas winds.
  Storm clouds are on the horizon again moisture may not be the limiting factor for corn growth this June.
The sky turning from blue to black is getting to be a daily thing and it is starting to wear on me.  I am not meant to be in the house doing office work and helping with indoor 4-H projects this many days in a row.



-A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.