Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Pork Roast in Apple Cider Gravy

Before Thanksgiving, I read a post from the people of Certified Angus Beef stating that 23% of consumers have never cooked a roast and 34% only cook one a few times a year.  What?!  A roast is one of those easy, peasy meals in my book.  Throw it in the crockpot and forget about it.  After speaking with some friends, I found the struggle to cook a roast is real for some.  I asked several of my fellow Kansas Farm Mom's to help me out and they were happy to join in the Pot Roast Project!  The boys and I are testing the recipes for you and trying to remember to take pictures.  :)

Our first guest recipe is from Jenny Burgess.  She shares about her family farm at Burgess Hill Farms on Facebook.  Jenny also writes a blog called Farm Wife Transparency.  They have a very different story of how their farm began than ours and awhile back she shared a very personal story on the struggles she has to deal with.  Here is her recipe for a Pork Roast in Apple Cider Gravy.


Pork Roast in Apple Cider Gravy

1 pork roast or pork loin roast
2 medium apples 
2 small onions 
Salt & pepper 
2 c. Apple cider 
1 Tblsp of cornstarch 
 Directions ~ Slice apples and onions. Put half of apples and onions in the bottom of crockpot. Slice deep into roast & about 1 in apart. Insert other half of apples and onions amongst slices. Place roast on top of 1st half of apples and onions. Salt and pepper roast on top. Pour 2 cups of cider around roast. Cook on high 5 to 6 hours, or on Low 8 hours. Once done take out roast and tent with foil. Strain cider out of crockpot into saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch and cook until bubbly and thick.

 Doesn't this sound great?  Do you fear roasts or cook them all the time?  If you are looking for another pork loin recipe, try Christy's Not So Famous Pork Loin and if you like the apples, you might like Caramel Apple Pork Chops.

If you have a great recipe you would like to share, send it to me and I will be happy to share it with everyone else!

-A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.