Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Slow Cooker Breakfast


Last week, I posted a picture of the Breakfast Burritos I made in the CROCK-POT!  My friend Lesley sent me this recipe to help me with breakfast time.  I am thinking I can make it into a two time Crock-Pot recipe for the show barn.  Cook it ahead and freeze and then warm them back up in the crock pot for a quick, easy to grab and go breakfast after chores are done.  I will admit that I didn't follow the recipe very closely and used diced hashbrowns.  I use the tortillas from Dollar Tree that are a bit small, but just right for what I usually need for breakfast.

Lesley is active in the Kansas AgriWomen and is a recent graduate of the KARL leadership program here in Kansas.  I have tried to get her to start to her own blog, but she is still dragging her feet.  Maybe we can get her to share more recipes with us instead.-A Kansas Farm Mom

Slow Cooker Sausage Breakfast Casserole or Burrito Filling

1 pkg. (26-32 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes 
1 pkg. of Sausage (cooked) 
2 cup (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese 
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese 
½ cup julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained or I cup chopped fresh tomatoes
6 green onions, sliced 
12 eggs 
½ cup of milk 
½ teaspoon of salt 
¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper 
1. Cook sausage. 
2. Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray and/or line with a liner bag. Layer ½ of the potatoes on the bottom of slow cooker. 
3. Top with half of the sausage, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, sun dried tomatoes and green onion. Repeat layering of hash browns, sausage, cheese, tomatoes and onion. 
4. Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in large bowl with a wire whisk until well blended. 
5. Pour evenly over potato-sausage mixture. 
6. Cook on LOW setting for 8 hours or on HIGH setting for 4 hours or until eggs are set. 
Yield: 12 servings (about 1 cup each)

I use different meats, depending on what I have in my fridge (bacon, sausage, ham). You can also use regular tomatoes (about 1 cup) and any other vegetables, such as peppers and onions you'd like. We eat the casserole as casserole -- most of the time -- and I usually set out shells, salsa, sour cream, more cheese when we have company over, for those who would want to eat it as a breakfast burrito instead. If I have leftovers, I'll roll the casserole up in the shells and put them in aluminum foil in a ziploc bag and freeze them for a quick breakfast burrito later on. 

 I cook the casserole on low for 8 hours -- I turn it on right before bed -- and I don't stir it or anything during the process, just sleep, so when I get up in the morning and smell the goodness - it's just one less thing to do for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.