Pin It button on image hover

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Farm Boy Halloween

Farm boys seem to have their own unique ideas of what makes a great Halloween costume.  I probably don't help this matter when I am one of those moms that would prefer to make our costumes instead of buy them.  I thought you might enjoy a couple of our favorite Halloween costumes.

The John Deere Tractor:



Safety first:  no tractor is complete without a Slow Moving Vehicle emblem on the back.

The hardest part of this costume is keeping the 2 boxes connected.  This year, we used bolts and nuts to hold them together.

He insisted on the muffler that he found himself.  Foam pipe insulation made a great light weight muffler.


The Ear of Corn

This has been one of my favorite costumes over the years.  I printed the corn design onto iron on paper and applied to white material that we sewed into the green shucks.  The silks we left over from a centerpiece I had at some time...kind of like gold Christmas tree icicles but stiffer.  When one of the boys was younger, we loaded him into a wagon filled with real ears of corn for the local kiddie parade.



Do you have a favorite costume that your kids have used over the years?

-A Kansas Farm Mom

9 comments:

  1. Too CUTE!! I am making one of these for my daughter for drive in movie night at church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would love to see yours when you get finished. We all do things a little differently. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great job! Does the tractor get to harvest the corn? Lol. Our oldest will be Larry the Cable Guy.... How simple is that? :) and it was Grandma's idea, not even Mommy's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Right now we are harvesting soybeans. I am trying to figure out how to work trick or treating into the harvest schedule.

      Delete
  3. Love them both Nicole!!! Great job! We have a bumble bee, a bunny rabbit and a 1950's bank robber. Will have to send you a picture. I too perfer to make the costums. This way the are all original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you ever want to borrow the corn costume, the boys have outgrown it. :)

      Delete
  4. I just love the John Deere costume! So creative! Makes for fun play dates also :) Thanks for linking up to Thankful Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great! I used to love making Halloween costumes for my son and nephews. I kind of miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness. I'm not a big fan of dressing up for holidays, but my human insists. At least my horns are big, so she usually goes for those goats with little or no horns. I would like to try nibbling that big ear of corn.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.