Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Breakfast Hash

Thanks for my friend Beth Gaines for providing this What's For Dinner Wednesday.  I am super busy keeping up with my kids and all the new calves that are being born.  It's great to have friends that help out when I am busy!  And this lady knows what busy is with 3 kids in sports and 4-H and she is foster mom to a litter of piglets and a bottle lamb.  

Farm family breakfasts can be big deals – or no big deals.  This dish totally falls in the latter category. I grew up eating this hearty, one-dish breakfast as a kid – and now my kids do too.  Its name is nothing special.  In fact, it’s downright humble.  We call it “hash.”  And raising a few pigs – we love the fact that it includes ham.

This breakfast hash is not the kind of corn-beef or red flannel hash that has southern roots – but it’s good all the same.  The ingredients are few – and often on hand – and leftovers work great.
You’ll need:
1 package frozen hasbrowns.  Mr. Dell’s are my favorite.  If you like onions and peppers – the O’brien style are great – although my family is not a fan.
Chopped ham.  This is where the left-0ver part comes in. About 2 cups.
6 eggs – whisked together like scrambled eggs.
Salt and pepper to taste.

I like to use a large non-stick skillet.  Add about ¼ cup of oil in pan and turn up heat.  Add hasbrowns and cook till beginning to brown and crisp.  ( I usually throw these in and go about the morning routine – checking them ever so often.  Generally takes 10-15 minutes  for the frozen hasbrowns  to cook.)
Add the ham and cook till warm.  Once done – add the eggs.  I like to make a well in the middle of the hasbrowns and let the eggs set a  little bit before stirring them throughout the pan.
Cook until the eggs are done – and no longer wet.  About five minutes or so.
Top with shredded cheese or ketchup.  Yumm!  A hot, hearty, one-pan breakfast with no fuss!!
Enjoy!  From our farm to your home!!

Thanks so much to Beth and her family!  Beth and her son Kyle also shared his recipe for Easy, Beefy, Cheesy Burritos last summer when I was busy with wheat harvest.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

5 comments:

  1. I bet that we could use sausage in this, too. Heaven knows we have enough of that......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great :) Found you on Farmgirl Friday and I would love to have you share this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop today!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-creative-homeacre-hop-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe to make for your family. Thank you for linking up on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back this week to join us again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds yummy. I love dishes that only involve me dirty one dish, and Iove to make good breakfasts for my hubby on the weekends we will need to give this a try.

    Kristen
    www.chickyscafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Thanks for sharing your talent on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
    Our next party goes live Sunday morning at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-creative-homeacre-hop-6.html

    If you have a blog hop, please check out The Linky Love Party...a place to share your parties with other bloggers! Grab the button for an easy way to search for parties every week!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/lets-party.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.