Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

W4DW- Overnight Lasagna


The end of wheat harvest is in sight (2 MORE FIELDS!!), but I am still super busy trying to finish my combine driver duties, running the boys to swimming lessons, 4-H activities and getting a new babysitter settled into our chaotic routine.  Another sweetheart of a Farm Mom from Northeast Kansas shared this recipe with me last week.  She was quick to say that it is not a fast recipe, but it is one she uses when she knows she will busy the next day.  I love those kind of recipes!  I try to do a lot of prep work in my kitchen before busy days of working cattle or when the kids have full days of activities scheduled.  I hope you enjoy this recipe and I am going to have to try it when I get this wheat cutting finished.

So what is for dinner this Wednesday?  Well, June is also National Dairy Month!!  What better way to celebrate our dairy farmer friends than with a yummy lasagna.  I love my dairy farmer friends, but that is definitely one job I don’t want.  They work 365 days a year.  They have to milk the cows at least 2 times a day and a day trip somewhere usually only lasts a few hours.  Think about all that hard work they put into your milk products while you enjoy this make ahead lasagna recipe.


Overnight Lasagna

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 t. salt
1 jar (32 ounces) spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
dash pepper
2 t. oregano
1/4 t. sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 carton (15 ounces) cottage cheese
2 t. parsley flakes
1 lb. (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pkg. (12 ounces) lasagna noodles, uncooked

Brown beef, onions and salt. Drain off fat.
In a large bowl, combine spaghetti sauce, water, pepper, oregano and sugar.
In another bowl, combine egg, cottage cheese, parsley, 8 ounces of mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
Cover bottom of 9x13 pan with sauce. Layer noodles, cheese mixture, ground beef and sauce.
Repeat layers.
Sprinkle remaining Parmesan and mozzarella on top.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bake, covered with foil, at 375 for 45 min.
Remove foil and bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting and serving. 
Serves 8 to 10.

A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.