Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

W4DW-Pork Chalupas

What's For Dinner Wednesday?  Well, my freezer is running low on items that I can pull out and warm up in a hurry.  I have talked about it before how I like recipes that make a lot and freeze well.  This recipe can make a bunch and comes out of the freezer tasting as good as it went in.

My friends who raise pork will love this recipe.  One of my new friends that raises pork is Standing Oaks Enterprises from Ohio you can find a link to their Facebook page here.  If you are looking for more pork recipes, you might also check out the Kansas Pork Association's Facebook page here.  Be sure to tell them A Kansas Farm Mom sent you.

Here is why I love this recipe and I think you will too:
  • It takes very little prep work and practically cooks itself.  
  • It uses pork roast, which is one of those cheaper cuts of pork to buy.  
  • Mom's of growing kids and athletes should like it because it is packed with protein using pork and pinto beans.  
  • My kids love it because they think they are getting nachos for supper.
  • It can be cooked on the stove top, oven or Crockpot.  I prefer the oven, but only in the winter when I don't mind heating up the house.






Pork Chalupas
1 pound dried pinto beans
2-3 pounds pork roast
2 teaspoons garlic, minced or garlic powder
2 tablespoons cumin 
1-2 tablespoons dried crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground oregano
Corn chips
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Shredded lettuce
Chopped onion, optional
Diced tomato
Salsa
Sour Cream , optional

Sort beans and wash thoroughly.  In a large Dutch oven, combine beans, roast, and spices.  Add enough water to cover the roast and beans.  

Cover and simmer 6 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed.  Remove roast from Dutch oven; cut from bone and break meat apart. Return meat to Dutch oven.  Cook, uncovered, 1- 1½ hours or until mixture is thick.
OR bake in the oven at 250-300 degrees for several hours until beans are done and meat falls off the bone and is stringy.  Add water as needed.  Remove roast from oven, cut meat and break into shreds.
OR Cook in Crockpot for 8-10 hours until beans are done and meat fall off the bone and is stringy.  Remove roast, cut meat and break into shreds.

Place corn chips on individual serving plates.  Place bean and meat mixture over the corn chips.  Top with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, grated cheese, salsa and sour cream.
Makes 10+ servings
 
-A Kansas Farm Mom

I linked this recipe to the

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring a pork recipe! This recipe sounds porktastic and easy! Love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hog Farmer Wife! I am glad you think it sounds good! It is one of our family's favorite pork recipes. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks really good. I think I will pass it on to my daughter who is in college, she is a vegetarian and would omit the meat, but still get a good and easy meal. I used to live in Ark. and had many friends who were farmers. I know the life of a farmer can be hard, but I always loved visiting them and helping out when I could!

    Thank you for joining Foodie Friends Friday. Don't forget to come back on Sunday to vote.

    Just wanted to let you know I am following you now and have pinned your recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cynthia! I am glad you enjoyed the recipe. The agriculture in Arkansas is so diverse. We have friends that live in different regions and farm everything from cows to chickens and rice to cotton to soybeans.
    I am glad you enjoyed learning about our farm and am excited that you are now following me. Thanks and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy and I'm happy you shared three different ways to cook it! Thank so much for sharing this at FF this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the party Deborah Jean! I love to have recipes that can be prepared multiple ways depending on the weather and my duties on the farm that day. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
    2. Congrats... You and your chalupas are this weeks featured farmgirl on the Farmgirl Friday blog hop! I made this in my crock pot and everyone said, I could make it anytime! It is a wonderful dish! Thanks again!

      Delete
    3. WOW!! Thanks Deborah Jean! I am so excited!! Thank you for selecting my recipe. I am glad your family enjoyed it as much as mine.

      Delete
  6. You had me at chalupa:) Stopping by from Walking on Sunshine and glad to be here! Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by. I love looking at all the recipes each week. Hope your family enjoys the recipe!

      Delete
  7. This looks delicious - I'm definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids love it and I love the fact that it is quick and easy to make! Have a great day!

      Delete
  8. First time on your blog. Happy to find you. I saw this recipe on Foodie Friends Friday. Great recipe. Happy to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the follow! I am headed to your blog to check it out. I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine does.

      Delete
  9. Sounds very different. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is much different than most things I make, maybe that is why my kids love it so much. Thanks for stopping by and visiting!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.