Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

W4DW- Taco Bites

With the holidays rapidly approaching, I am always on the look out for appetizer recipes.  Being the mom of 2 boys, I am always looking for something that the kids will eat.  I had cousins that ate nothing but carrots and celery sticks when they came to our house which drove my mother nuts!  I want kids to be comfortable in my home whether it is the toys to play with or the food we eat.

I had been wanting to try a recipe from the 2003 National Beef Cookoff.  I just had never taken the time.  After our wine and cheese tasting at our conference last week, Dairy Carrie was very generous and gave me some fabulous Wisconsin cheese to take home (I may be addicted). Good thing all these Wisconsin cheese factories deliver to those of us in the dairy desert.

One of the cheeses was from the Decatur Dairy.  The Pepper Havarti is amazing!  I called it Pepper Jack and was quickly corrected.  There is NO comparison.  I highly recommend it.

I decided now was the time to try the Taco Beef Nuggets with Tejano Dipping Sauce.   As I often do, I modified the recipe a bit to suit my family's taste and what was in my pantry.  The boys loved the new recipe and can't wait until I make it again.




Taco Bites from A Kansas Farm Mom

1 lb. ground beef
3 T. taco seasoning mix
16 cubes Pepper Havarti cheese
1 egg white
1 T water
2 cups crushed chili cheese Fritos

Sauce:
6 T. thick taco sauce
3 T. honey

Heat oven to 400*.  Combine ground beef and taco seasoning.  Divide beef into 16 portions and shape each around a cheese cube, completely covering cheese.

Beat egg white with water in dish until blended.  Place crushed chips in a second bowl.  Dip each meatball into egg mixture, then into chips to coat completely.  Press each meatball with palm into flattened nugget shape, coating both side of nugget with chips.

Spray baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.  Place nuggets in pan.  Bake at 400*F oven for 15-20 minutes to (160*), until not pink and juices show no pink color.

Combine sauce ingredients in microwave safe bowl.  Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until warm.  


 Remember, if you don't want to miss a single post from me, the best way is to click the box at the top and enter your e-mail address.  Facebook doesn't show all my posts everyday, so be sure to keep up with the yummy recipes and happenings on our farm by following by e-mail.  I won't send you anything other than post updates.  -A Kansas Farm Mom 

Linked on:
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Foodie Friends Friday 
Battling the Home Front
Featured

4 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing and is so creative! I'm so glad I found it over at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you like it as much as my family did!

      Delete
  2. This was my recipe from the 2003 National Beef Cook-Off . . . glad you tried them! My kids were the original taste-testers; they gave them a 'thumbs-up' back then and they still love them. Now we make them for appetizers using pepper jack cheese (I'll have to look for the Pepper Havarti!) and kick up the heat of the taco sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrice, My kids loved these. I have had the recipe laying around for a long time and just never got around to making them. The Pepper Havarti was something I never would have tried, but now I am hooked. Hope you didn't mind that I tweeked the recipe a little. Awesome recipe and thanks for sharing it with the Beef Cook off back in 2003! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.