Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Spicy Cheeseburger Soup



What's for Dinner this Wednesday?  Well, it happens to be the local hospital foundation's annual fundraiser.  Area cooks prepare a variety of soups and for a donation you may choose 3 yummy soups to try (small bowls of course).  I was honored to be asked to provide a soup for the Taste of the Town this year.  Here is one of my family's long time favorite soups that I have adapted from a Taste of Home recipe that I found over 10 years ago.  My recipe for Beefy Nacho Potato Soup was a recipe from this annual fundraiser that I found a few years back.  I love that they also sell a cookbook with all the recipes in it, so I will have some new soup recipes to try in the coming weeks.
Follow along on my Facebook page and I will show you what I choose for my lunch.
 

Spicy Cheeseburger Soup
1 ½ cups water
2 cups cubed potatoes
2 small carrots
1 small onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8-1/2 tablespoon dried chili flakes
3 bouillon cubes
½ teaspoon salt
1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
2 ½ cups milk, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
8 ounces process American cheese, cubed
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional

In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Stir in beef and 2 cups of milk; heat through.  Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup.  Bring to boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.  Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.  Add cayenne.
Make 2 quarts

-A Kansas Farm Mom

Shared on: Thursday's Treasures

2 comments:

  1. I love a good creamy soup. This one has some wonderful ingredients in it.

    Thank you for sharing your recipe on Foodie Friends Friday.

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    Please link your recipe to the FFF party. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.