Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

W4DW- Pecan Pie Cheesecake



I looked to my Facebook followers for direction on what recipe to post on "What's for Dinner Wednesday."  

Have you ever noticed that the older our parents and in laws get the harder they are to buy Christmas presents that they will love?  I have resorted to making my dad and father in law cheesecakes for Christmas if I can’t find anything else that they will absolutely love.  I hate to buy a gift that is just going to be returned or worse yet just collect dust in their homes.  Last year, I made my dad a Coconut Cheesecake that was supposed to be like the one from The Cheesecake Factory.  He loved it!  So, this year when my Father in law stumped my shopping skills my oldest son and I went to work making this Pecan Pie Cheesecake.  It wasn’t as difficult or as time consuming as some we have made over the years (my family LOVES cheesecake.)

The original recipe called for Vanilla wafer crumbs, but I was forced to use graham crackers when all the boys of the house had eaten all the cookies.    I liked the graham cracker crust and thought it did need a little something to balance all the sweetness of the pie filling base.


Pecan Pie Cheesecake



Crust:


¾  cups graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
 cup butter, melted

Pecan Filling:


1 cup sugar
 cup dark corn syrup
 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 ½ cups chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cheesecake Filling:


3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 ¼ cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 eggs
 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Crust:
Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cracker crumbs and brown sugar. Stir in melted butter. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9 1/2″ springform pan. Bake for 6 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Pecan Filling:
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour into crust and set aside.

Cheesecake Filling:
Reduce oven to 325°. With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Add brown sugar and flour and beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Stir in cream and vanilla. Pour over pecan filling. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in oven with the door closed for 1 hour. Remove from oven and run a knife along the outside edges to loosen cheesecake from sides of pan. Let cool. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.

Many cheesecake recipes recommend that you wrap the bottom of the pan in aluminum foil and bake in a water bath.  This blogger recommended filling a Pyrex dish with very hot water on the bottom rack while the cheesecake baked on the top rack. This worked really well and we didn’t have a single crack on the top of the cake. 

14 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful!! I will take two for next Christmas please! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids helped me and it really wasn't that hard, but if you'll come pick them up, I'll make them. Glad you liked this recipe. :)

      Delete
  2. Great timing, Kansas Farm Mom! I made my first Pecan Pie yesterday, it's 3/4 gone already. I have Pecans in the freezer ready to use. I am also a huge baked cheesecake fan. I Pinnned this recipe to try in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father in law raises all the pecans for our family and this time of year we get our new supply. Sounds like you have a good supply in your freezer, too.

      Delete
  3. I love pecan pie! I love cheesecake! What a wonderful combination! I am so glad you posted this recipe. Thank you for linking up to Foodie Friends Friday!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you through Foodie Friends Friday. You're cheesecake looks so good! Thanks for linking back have a great week! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It tastes way better than my limited photo skills made it look. I love Foodie Friends Friday and all the wonderful recipes.

      Delete
  5. I grew up on a Kansas Dairy Farm. =)
    Im thrilled to find your blog!!

    I found your cheesecake recipe on Melt in Your Mouth Monday.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled that you found my blog! I am trying hard to be a link between the farm and those like you that no longer live on a farm, but still want to know about it. Have a fabulous week!

      Delete
  6. I need to have this! Seriously...looks amazing!

    Found you at melt in your mouth monday!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.