Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Calf Beauty Shop



As a mom, I have talked many times about how much I love 4-H here.  Most of the time I don’t talk about the livestock projects that my kids are involved in, because there is so much more to 4-H than livestock projects, but today I want to show their calves in the beauty shop.

Of course, every trip to the beauty shop starts with a good shampoo.  Big brother was getting his heifer Norma II ready to go to a show…

Little brother thought Winnie needed to get a bath, too…

The boys use a wonderful plastic massaging brush that the girls really seem to like.

Winnie didn’t like her bath at first.  I find that the calves are a lot like babies.  The first several times that I gave my boys a bath they screamed like I was trying to kill them.  The calves don’t bawl or cry, but they do pull back on their halters and try to get free.  By July, they will almost go the washrack by themselves because it apparently feels good to be clean.

Next the girls moved on to the blow dryer and got their hair brushed. 

 Perfect form is necessary...

Things have been really rainy, humid and hard to get things dried out.  Norma and my 10 year old got lots of time with the blow dryer.  He dried…

And dried…

And dried…

And dried…

Doesn’t she look lovely?!

Next, we gave her a haircut.  I am a believer that all kids should know how to clip and fit their own project.  It is not my project and I like to teach the kids how to clip their own animal.  
He has been clipping their heads for several years and is getting better all the time.  He still thinks the clippers are heavy and sometimes he wants mom to finish things up.

After her trip to the beauty shop, Norma went to her first show.  She didn’t perform quite like my little man would have liked, but I was excited how well they both worked together and  how hard he was truly trying.

I read an article last week one of my friends shared about college athletes and how the most important thing that they heard from their parents growing up was, “I love to watch you play.”  I took this info to heart and started telling them I love to watch you show.  I got the biggest smiles and hugs afterward.  Showing with your own kids is a lot exactly like coaching your own kids sports team.  At some point, in the drive home you have to go back to being mom and not coach. 

Have a great day, give your kids a hug, and tell them how much you like to watch them whether it’s soccer, baseball, dancing, or showing livestock.

-A Kansas Farm Mom



3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this pos! great job! And you're right about telling your children how you love to watch them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fifteen month old and I happened into a 4-H livestock clinic over the weekend (I thought we were at a maple festival!) and I was SO CONFUSED when I realized there were four people standing around a cow giving it a hair cut, and a fifth fellow explaining about why and how to trim it. I ended up asking a woman what on earth was going on, and she explained it was to teach the kids how to get their animals ready for shows. I had no idea how involved the whole process was, and it really gave me a new appreciation for 4-H. Thanks for sharing this here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I am so glad that I could post this just in time for you to learn from your weekend outing. :)

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.