Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

W4DW-Spicy Shredded Beef

What's for Dinner Wednesday?  Beef. 

May is Beef Month.  May is also a super busy month for busy moms and dads with all of the end of the school year activities.  While I do not have a child who is graduating, our longest term babysitter AND our hired hand are both graduating from high school.  I am trying to make it to as many of their activities as possible, while they are not blood they are like family to us.

Here is possibly the simplest recipe I have ever posted.  When we were growing up, my mom starting making this especially during harvest.  It works great in busy times like this.

Spicy Shredded Beef

1 beef roast
1 jar salsa

Put beef roast in crock pot and cover with salsa on LOW heat. 

When roast is fork tender, shred the beef using 2 forks.  We use this for homemade burritos,
tacos,
enchiladas
and super nachos.


 
It's a great way to season a roast and have a meal ready whenever the family is ready to eat after all the activities.  It also keeps well if you have multiple eating times due to multiple schedules for each family member.

I even put my roast in the crock pot frozen.  I often "load" my crock pot before 8 am and may not get to eat whatever is in it until after 8 pm, so frozen roasts have plenty of time to thaw and cook.  Hope this gives you a great way to cook a roast other than pot roast.

What cut of beef would you like to know how to cook differently from what you already do?  Let me know and I will see what we can find for you!

-A Kansas Farm Mom

3 comments:

  1. I always use a frozen roast, too. I'll have to give the salsa idea a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always throw my roasts in frozen also. We are sick of regular pot roasts with potatoes, carrots and gravy, and I think this out be a nice change of pace. Thank you for sharing!
    Jennifer Home in the Finger Lakes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how we get stuck in a rut with preparing the sane cuts of meat the same way. Glad I could help you gals out with a different ending for the same old roast. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.