Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cooking Sweet Corn

Ahhh!  Summer.  The heat.  The humidity.  The urge to turn on the oven.  The urge to boil a huge pot of water on the stove.

Not!

Don't you just love summer.  I do.  It brings fresh tomatoes.  Fresh onions. Fresh peppers.  FRESH SWEET CORN!  Yum!!

Most of my friends boil a huge pot of water on the stove to cook their sweet corn which in turn heats up the entire kitchen and probably dining room, too.  My mom was one of the first to own a microwave I think even before I was born.  She loves her microwave.

She cooks her sweet corn in the microwave and saves the air conditioner from over loading the circuits trying to keep the house cool.

Most of the time we store the corn in the refrigerator in a Ziploc bag straight out of the shuck.  The silks are left on and we don't wash it until we are ready to cook it.  I have kept it in a Ziploc bag in the fridge for over a week and it keeps great.

I wash it right before I cook it, place it on a plate,

 cover with waxed paper and put it in the microwave.



My mom cooks it for 1 minute per ear; however, my microwave must be higher wattage because it cooks in half the time.  She cooks it for 30 seconds per ear, flips them over and cooks the additional time.

The corn still comes out sweet and tasty and the house stays much cooler.

Let me know if this works for you!

-A Kansas Farm Mom

5 comments:

  1. I also cook corn in the microwave, but I usually put it in a plastic bag. Works great! I like it also because it doesn't require thinking far enough ahead to get a pot of water boiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I had to remember to get that pot of water boiling, we'd never have sweet corn. I get so busy in the summer that I sometimes forget that it is in the refrigerator. LOL

      Delete
  2. We cook our fresh corn in the microwave, too. Only difference, we cut the ends off, leave in the shuck, nuke for 2 minutes per ear...absolutely delicious.....yummmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try that next time! Sadly, fresh corn from the garden season is over here. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. I have never tried the microwave! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday. Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.