Pin It button on image hover

Monday, September 16, 2013

W4DW-Freezer Slaw

Sometimes, I run across a recipe in both of my grandmother's cookbooks.  They were great friends who loved to quilt weekly together, so it is no surprise that they shared recipes.  This week's What's 4 Dinner Wednesday is one that I found in both of their favorite recipe collections, but under different names and a bit different steps to get to the same fabulous end result.

If you have someone in your house that does not like mayonnaise, like my husband, maybe they will like this version of coleslaw.  My Grandma Evelyn used to freeze it in individual containers.  She lived as a widow for over 20 years and was pretty good at keeping a supply of individual meal servings after she would cook a big batch.

We have planted a few things in our garden in hopes of a fall harvest.  We have cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and brussell sprouts.  The sprouts were not my idea.  The boys requested them. With the rain we got this week, I think the boys need to plant some lettuce as well.  Do you plant a fall garden?



Sara’s Freezer Slaw
1 head cabbage (about 3.5 pounds)
Green Pepper, chopped
Carrots
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups sugar
½ cup water
1 cup vinegar
3 teaspoons celery or mustard seed, optional

Shred cabbage and carrots.  Sprinkle salt over cabbage and carrots and let stand 1 hour. Squeeze out the extra water. 

In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, water, vinegar, and seeds to a boil.  Boil 1 minute.  Pour over shredded vegetables and freeze.  My recipes say this will keep up to 6 weeks in the refrigerator unfrozen. 

-A Kansas Farm Mom

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this recipe! I have made the slaw several times and it's very tasty and reminds me of my mama's slaw. She used celery instead of carrots. Food processors make preparing slaws so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When do you use the green pepper?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.