Pin It button on image hover

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Hidden Geology Museum in the Hills of Kansas



As most of you know, I have a rock hound in my house.  He is always looking for new rocks.  Especially ones he can polish and make jewelry out of.  If you have someone who likes rocks, fossils or minerals, I found a gem of a museum right in the middle of Kansas that is absolutely FREE! 

Located on the campus of Emporia State University just a few short blocks from Interstate 35.  I have heard about the Johnston Geology Museum several times, but wasn’t sure of the hours.  Apparently, as long as the building is unlocked you can visit, which means school is in session.

The fossil displays were amazing to my little rock hounds.  They had a new list of fossils they wanted to find in the area.  It also gave them more of an idea of what kids of sea once covered where we now live.

We also enjoyed seeing all the different rocks and minerals that could be found in the area.  Some were found in Oklahoma, but most in Kansas. 

Unfortunately, the geology professor was out of the country when we visited, but we plan to go back sometime and talk with her.  Everyone on the campus was super friendly (like typical Kansans) and answered any questions we had.

If you are driving diagonal across Kansas, I encourage you to stop and let the kids out of the car at a FREE place and give them a bit of Kansas ancient history.  Where are your favorite free places to stop when traveling with kids?  Is there a hidden gem in your area that I should know about?  Tell me!  You never know which direction we will go on vacation next year.  Don't forget Hays is home to the Sternberg Museum which is well worth the admission price.

PS I have also heard there is a free zoo in Emporia as well, but I haven’t checked it out yet.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

 Check out the rest of my 30 days of Blogging and the other farm bloggers joining me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.