Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Our Elf is Lazy



I really try not to rant on here, but the elves have taken over Facebook and Pinterest and I have had enough!  If you are one of those parents that stays up all hours of the night doing Elf activities, you might want to stop reading right now and click to another page.

I have a confession to make.  I am one of those parents that bought an Elf on the Shelf when they first came out…Only because the store had them for 75% off after Christmas (I am guessing they weren’t supposed to go on sale).

We have one in our house.  He does not run the house.  He does not TP our tree.  He does not use markers on the pictures of the kids.  He does not make snow angels in flour on my cabinets.

He simply flies back to the North Pole every night and finds a new place to land most days.  Some days he likes the place he is sitting and he stays there another day…or two.  OOPS!

My boys don’t expect him to do things while they sleep except go to the North Pole and report to Santa, just like the book that came with him says.

Seriously, will someone please explain to me WHY parents feel the need to intentionally trash their house and say it was this doll?  Why do they feel the need to make their children feel the world revolves around them?

My youngest is simply amazed that he has moved overnight.  It is a fun game the 2 of them have before he goes to school.  He is even keeping score.  By the way, Elfie stayed in the same spot for 3 days before he was found.  I see no need in making this “fun little tradition” anything more than that…a cute little game.

I will NOT be like some of my friends who are up at 2 am helping the elf decorate a gingerbread house.  I will not be sneaking into my kids rooms to set up some display that the elf did.  Really?!  It is the holidays.  I am busy enough the way it is.  Not only do I work hard to bake bread and pecan rolls for the neighbors.  I have Christmas cards to send out and presents to buy and wrap.  I still have a full time job of taking care of cattle in this cold weather.  The last thing I need to do at 2 am is undecorate my tree and blame it on a stuffed doll.  I do good to remember to move the little guy once a day and that is only because I set an alarm on my cell phone to remind me at 9:30 every night and even then I forget.

Sorry if you see me as some kind of party pooper in the Elf adventures, but do we really need elf antics to help us celebrate Christmas?  Last time I checked there was no elf in the Nativity scene.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.