Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pecan Rolls

My family loves Pecan Rolls.  My kids have helped my father in law pick up pecans for the last 3 weeks.  I have no idea how many pounds of pecans they have to pick out, but I do know that I have all the pecans I could want to cook with.  I also know the boys are selling them if you need some. 

When I saw the post by Jessica Wilcox about Pecans and Christmas, I knew I had to make these rolls, but I am lazy when it comes to bread dough.  I went through my cookbooks to find a bread machine recipe for the dough.  Her family's filling and topping looked too good not to try, so here is 2 recipes put together to make some absolutely amazing Pecan Rolls that my 7 year old could do  pretty much did all by himself.

So Easy A Kid can Make them Pecan Rolls

1 cup warm milk (105-115 degrees)
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 packages (1/4 ounce) quick active dry yeast

Place above ingredients in bread machine in order recommended by the machine manufacturer (mine says liquids first and yeast last).  Select dough cycle.  Remove dough from pan, place on lightly floured surface, cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.

Pan Glaze:
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
1+cups pecan halves

Mix glaze ingredients and then spread in 9 by 13 inch baking pan.  Place pecan halves top side down into caramel topping.

Roll Filling:
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Roll dough into roughly a 20x16 inch rectangle.  Spread roll filling ingredients over dough.  Roll up dough starting with the long side.  Cut dough into 12 pieces.  Dental floss works amazingly well to cut dough and allows it to keep its nice round shape.  Place rolls on top of pan glaze.  Cover with a lint free towel and let rise 35 to 45 minutes.  The rolls should double in size.

Bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes.  Place a serving tray, cookie sheet or jelly roll pan on top of the baked rolls.  Carefully, flip the pan over and remove so that the bottom of the rolls is now the top and you can see those beautiful pecans. 

Enjoy with a cold glass of milk or Jent's mom's top secret hot chocolate.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.