Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Goodbye Old Friend

Goodbye Old Friend,

We have been through so much together. It is really sad to see you go. You have been with me longer than my husband and helped me enjoy my college days. You have been with me longer than many of my friends, but you have done something that I cannot forget.

Perhaps you do not know who you have truly partnered with.  Do you realize that the Humane Society of the United States has been convicted of racketeering and witness tampering?   If you are willing to provide a card that supports a "nonprofit" like the Human Society of the United States (HSUS), that has been downgraded by the major charity watch groups.  What other things are you willing to overlook? 

When you decided to partner with HSUS for a special card, I knew I would have to find a new friend to rely on. Yes, I know that as long as I don't have THAT card my money will not go to them.  You are no better than them when you tell your customers that their money is going to a worthy cause

I do question HSUS as a worthy cause.  Such a small portion of the money that is given to them goes to animals that it is unbelievably sad.  Did you know that the Humane Society of the United States gives less than 1/2 of 1%  of its money to shelters that care for animals?  I am sure some have told you that HumaneWatch is just out to get HSUS and can't be trusted, but what about other sites that come up with the same numbers? 

You see, here is my "beef" with the Humane Society of the United States:
  1. I have read they make it very clear that they don't think anyone should eat meat OR have pets.
  2. I have been told they would like hunting to be banned as well.
  3. Local shelters are struggling to make ends meet, because my neighbors are giving money to HSUS instead of the local shelters thinking the money will get to the local dogs and cats.  Don't believe me?  Go ask your local shelter.  Most of them dislike HSUS more than I do.

I would have thought better of you, so it is with great sadness that I dispose of you today.

I am putting you in the only place that I feel you are worthy on my farm.


I do want to thank you for your poor choice in associates. You have shown me that there are other friends out there who actually offer better rewards and don't associate with convicted criminals.

Goodbye Discover.  I am also encouraging all of my friends and family to really think about your card, too.  I am not one of those consumers that will hound you until you change your associations.  I am leaving you behind.  If any of my friends and followers leave Discover, I am encouraging them to post of picture of their Discover card wherever they find suitable with the hashtag #ditchDiscover.

Sincerely,

A Kansas Farm Mom
A previous cardholder member since 1995 (That's almost 20 years!!)

P.S.  I thought you might enjoy this video that explains the difference between Animal Rights and Animal Welfare.  I truly believe in Animal Welfare, just ask our dogs that sleep in the house every night, my cows that get fed no matter the weather and temperature, and the show calves that live all summer under fans on our farm, but that animals have rights is a whole different subject.

 

P.P.S.  If you are new here to my blog, I invite you to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. If you never want to miss a new blog post, click on the link in the upper right hand side bar to get email updates.  I promise you no spam.

You might also like to read my friend Dr. Lindsay's post of Dumping Discover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.