1. A human baby usually eats 2 ounces of milk for its first meal. A baby dairy calf gets one gallon of milk (colostrum). How many more ounces does a calf eat than a baby? (Hint: 1 gallon=128 ounces)
2. A cow is pregnant for 283 days. Approximately, how many months is a cow pregnant. (Round to the nearest whole number.
3. A dairy cow has an infection in her udder and the veterinarian recommends treating her with an antibiotic. The cow weighs 1200 pounds and the correct dosage in 1.1 ml per 100 pounds of body weight. How many milliliters does the farmer need to give the cow?
4. If he treats her with the antibiotic on February 12, and he has to dump her milk for 14 days, when is the first day that the milk can be safely consumed by people again?
5. How much feed will a dairy cow eat each day, if she can eat 3% of her body weight assuming she weighs 1200 pounds?
ANSWERS: 1.) 126 ounces more 2.) 9 months 3.) 13.2 ml 4.) February 27 5.) 36 pounds
If you are a teacher or homeschooler that would like more information to go with the Flat Aggie reports, send me a message on my contact form. Along with the report and the Farmer Math questions, we send each teacher an additional page of activities, crossword puzzles and sometimes a few hands on activities.
-A Kansas Farm Mom