Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, February 14, 2019

The Flat Aggie Think About Pizza


This is the seventh year the Flat Aggie's have spent traveling North America learning about food and the farmers that raise it from the soil.  As I sat in church a few weeks ago listening to the Children’s sermon, the pastor was talking about all the people it takes to make a pizza and how we can’t do it alone.  There has to be a wheat farmer, cattle rancher, dairy farmer and more.  I would include that many of us eat a salad with our pizza and that takes a whole different set of farmers just by itself.  I sat and thought about how great it is that so many school kids have learned where their food comes from (before the grocery store) thanks to the generous donations of time of many, many farmers. 


When I started this project my youngest was in First Grade and now he is a seventh grader.  I never dreamed that I would still be helping facilitate this project so many years later.  I am not sure Katie did either when she joined me on year two.  We are thankful that Hannah has kept the program going this year to give us a much needed break.

Now back to thinking about pizza.  You can’t make a pizza without a crust and while there are some gluten free option out there, may favorite is still made with wheat flour.  I am kind of sad that at this point we have not had a tomato farmer host Flat Aggie, but Cory from Delaware has shown us a variety of vegetables from Lima Beans, Pumpkins to Watermelon. 

We can’t have pizza without cheese and this year we have some great dairies share from their farms.  Here and Here.  One of my favorite posts over the years has been when Flat Aggie visited the mushroom farm in Oklahoma.  I see their trucks go by my house from time to time and think about all the mushrooms that are loaded in the truck.
 
Some of our favorite toppings are beef, beef more beef, pepperoni(pork) and chicken.
 
And if we are having taco pizza or a side salad we need lettuce.  You could also add some type of pickled vegetables, cottage cheese, sunflower seeds, croutons, something sweetened with sugar, bacon bits,strawberries, peas

Wow!  Flat Aggie has learned quite a bit and most of these posts are just from this school year!  We still have a few more months of posts to come and we should have a new round of reports next week for you to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.