Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Taco Soup with a Twist

The temperatures are getting cooler and everyone is talking about soup again!  I have another great recipe that was shared with me by another Kansas Farm Mom.  Shirley Felts has shared recipes with me before like her Spicy Sausage Skillet and Creamy Sausage Soup.  When I saw her at a seed meeting the other day, I mentioned that she always has good recipes and I was starting to run out of time to find good ones.  She promptly said that I needed her sister in law, Ruth's recipe for Taco Soup with a Twist.  She sure didn't disappoint.  The soup is quick, easy, and very filling.

Taco Soup with a Twist 

1 lb ground beef.
1 med onion
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 t. Chili powder
1 t. Ground cumin
3 c. Beef broth
1 1/2 c. Picante sauce
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes in juice
1 c. Uncooked rotini pasta
1 green pepper, chopped
Shredded cheddar cheese
Tortilla chips

In large saucepan brown ground beef with onion & garlic. Drain. Sprinkle chili powder and cumin over meat. Cook & stir 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients except cheese & chips. Mix well. Bring to a boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover & simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Ladle into bowls; top with cheese. Serve with chips & additional picante sauce.

A note from Ruth: The day Shirley sampled this soup, I had doubled the recipe and substituted a pound of ground pork and a pound of sausage for the ground beef. Sometimes I use Rotel in place of the diced tomatoes ... Just depends how hot you want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.