Pin It button on image hover

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Did That Really Happen?

In May, I wrote about the possibility of eating our way out of ADHD after attending the +Alltech symposium.  I have a son that has really struggled with focus and we decided to try our own trial of adding Omega-3 DHA to his diet.  We have switched back to whole milk in the house, a natural source of Omega-3.  He has been eating lots of walnuts which are also a great source of Omega-3 DHA.  He has also been taking a daily supplement of Omega-3 DHA.

We started all of this after school was out for the summer.  I have seen little changes here and there.  He isn't as impulsive and quick tempered.  He wants to work on projects.  He reminds me what needs to be done and where things are when I have forgotten.

None of these little things could have prepared me for what I witnessed in the showring yesterday.  He has shown before, but his focus has always drifted from the judge to what is going on outside of the showring.  Not yesterday.  He went in the ring with professionalism and confidence that I have never seen in him before.  He knew exactly what to do.  He only wavered once, but the loss of focus was nothing compared to the loss of focus we witnessed in his competitors and he regained focus...something I have NEVER seen him do without some prompting from outside the showring. 


He remembered how to stand, how to get his calf to stand, to watch the judge, and stayed with all of it for at least 10 minutes.  That is a long time for an 8 year old with nothing, but a 300 pound calf to keep him on task.  A calf that has less focus than the boy and would like nothing more than to put his nose down and eat grass.  It left me asking myself, Did that really just happen?
This kid has tried my patience as a parent and as his calf showing coach, but today this young man showed me that possibly with the correct nutrition he is ready to take on the world.  I can not wait until school starts to see what he accomplishes this year.

If you would like to know more about the studies that I talked about in the last blog post, go to the Alltech Symposium Audio page, scroll to the bottom of the page to the Health and Wellness podcasts.  They do take a few hours to listen to, but I certainly encourage you to take the time.  Section 1 has Dr. Patrick Wall, whom I have spoke with personally, speaking about the Omega-3 and Omega 6 imbalance.  Section 2 has Dr. Aoife Lyons, clinical psychologist, speaking on brain development and studies looking at Omega-3 DHA supplementation and its possible effects on ADHD.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.