Pin It button on image hover

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Meatball Sub Sandwiches

Last week, Dexter posted his first blog post with some beef nutritional information and a wonderful Italian Meatball recipe.  We used the meatballs to make the best Meatball Subs.

I hope you checked out his post.  He has a list started of things he wants to cover in blog posts and even has a teacher or two helping him with ideas when he gets done with his homework.  He is also working on infographics about beef.  

Since Dexter and some of his friends are just beginning to cook on their own and use this blog as a place to find recipes, I thought it might be a good idea to get a few more step by step instructions on making the perfect meatball sub sandwich.  Last year for Christmas gifts I made this awesome Garlic Parmesan Mix from Tip Garden which totally made the sandwiches better.  It has been popular with all the kids that have ate at my house since I made it.

 

The Best Meatball Sub Sandwiches

8 hoagie buns
1.5 cups prepared spaghetti sauce
¼ cup butter
1 tablespoon garlic cheese mix
Mozzarella cheese

Simmer cooked meatballs in 1.5 cups of prepared pasta sauce.  Melted butter mixed with 1 tablespoon of the mix to brush on the bread. Place the buttered bread on a cookie sheet under the broiler until they are good and toasted.  Spoon the meatballs and a little sauce on the toasted buns, topped with Mozzarella cheese and stick them back under the broiler until the cheese is melted.

During the busy season, I think I will put them in a crockpot to warm with the sauce.  When I say busy season, I am not sure that with two teenage boys there is a slow season.

I want to try them in a crockpot spaghetti recipe from the Show Barn Cook.  I this would be a great recipe for the show season, wrestling tournaments and my upcoming calving season.  

The guys all said this was one of the best recipes I had made in a long time.  Good thing they liked them, because I made a triple batch of the meatballs.  Two batches went into the freezer for my stockpile of freezer meals for calving season. Speaking of calving season, it is right around the corner and I am hoping that the temperature swings and winter weather will calm down for a week or two.  I need to finish up my “nesting” projects before the calves start hitting the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.