Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

W4DW-Old Fashioned Apple Crisp


What's for Dinner this Wednesday?  The closest thing I can find to an old family favorite.
My Grandma Evelyn used to make an Apple Crisp that I loved.  I have never found the recipe she used.  My guess is there was no recipe...she really didn't use too many recipes.  In fact, my dad is still trying to figure out how she made her homemade bread. 
I found this recipe from the Kansas Wheat Commission and it tastes amazingly like Grandma's recipe.  They called it Fruit Crunch.  If you have followed me very long, you know I love the recipes from the Kansas Wheat Commission.  All of the following recipes are ones I have found in their cookbooks and shared with you previously: Whole Wheat Angel Food Cake, Two Cheese Braided Bread, Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies, Cheesy Enchiladas and I am sure there are a few I am forgetting.


Old Fashioned Apple Crisp

5-6 cups fresh or frozen fruit
                Suggested fruit includes: Peeled and sliced apples or peaches
                Sliced rhubarb
                Blueberries or cherries
¼ cup sugar, optional
2/3 cup flour, whole wheat or all purpose
1 t. ground cinnamon
¼ t. ground nutmeg
1 cup oats, old fashioned or quick cooking
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter or margarine, slightly softened

Preheat oven to 350*F.  Spray a 9x13 baking pan or 9 inch deep dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray
Place fruit in pan.  If fruit is tart, sprinkle with ¼ cup of sugar and toss to coat.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, oats, and brown sugar.  Use a pastry blender, or fork to cut in butter until crumbly.

Sprinkle topping over fruit, press gently.  Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
 We like it with whipped topping, ice cream, half and half, or milk.  We really aren't picky we just want a little dairy with it.  ;)

-A Kansas Farm Mom

6 comments:

  1. I planned on making apple crisp today and was just getting the supplies out when I saw this. Going to try your recipe!! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up and sharing this yummy looking recipe on Farmgirl Friday. I shared it on my FB wall too. It looks delicious. I can hardly wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! I love looking through the Farmgirl Friday blog hop. Hope you like this recipe as much as my family did. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite things! Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love apple crisp. Thank you for sharing with us at "In and Out of the Kitchen"

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.