Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Trail Mix Bars

We just finished up with the county fair.  I firmly believe that everyone should learn how to cook and bake.  My boys worked hard this year and got blue ribbons on everything they made.  My youngest loves to cook, bake and even tried his hand at canning this year.  We loved everything they made and I gained several pounds taste testing for them even though I voluntarily walked the 4-H lambs for them.  :) 

This recipe was a combination of 3 recipes that he and I put together to make these yummy bars.  They make a great snack or quick breakfast.





A Kansas Farm Mom Trail Mix Bars
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups crisp rice cereal
1 cup cheerios
1 cup coconut
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup peanuts
1 cup chocolate coated candies, plain or peanut
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1½ cups peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients; set aside.  In a saucepan, bring corn syrup and sugar to a boil, stir frequently.  Remove from heat; stir in peanut butter and vanilla.  Pour over cereal mixture and toss to coat.  Spread evenly into a greased 15x10 inch baking pan.  Cool. Cut into bars.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the good fair results! Our daughter loved the foods and nutrition part of 4-H, and she became a dietitian. Our son wasn't as interested in cooking, but I'm amazed at how much he experiments today, living on his own. The bars look great!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.