Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sweet Potato Beef Mash Up

Recently, the Kansas Beef Council contacted me to try one of their new recipes. (OK let's be honest it was over a month ago and I should have posted this recipe weeks ago, but I digress.)

The Kansas Beef Council has a great selection of new recipes just for kids in mind and asked me to try out one of them.  Be sure to check them out on Facebook, Pinterest and Beef Its What for Dinner website.

One of the boys LOVES sweet potatoes, so when I saw the Sweet Potato Beef Mash Up I knew I had to try it out.  He loves sweet potatoes so much that he won't even touch a white potato anymore and he has sweet potatoes planted in the garden.  I guess we will see if we can grow them in Kansas.

As most of you know, I love quick, easy and healthy dishes to fix my family.  This one fit the bill perfectly as I had it on the table in less than 30 minutes.

Brown 1 pounds Ground Beef; about 8 to 10 minutes, the recipe says to break into 1/2-inch crumbles, but my kids prefer their meat to be broken up more.  Drain the drippings. Stir in 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning; cook 3 minutes. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
Combine 1 large sweet potato cut into cubes, 1 onion, remaining 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning in same skillet. Bring water to a boil.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once. This part was really hard for me.  I like to over stir things.
Stir in oil and continue cooking, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or until potatoes are tender and begin to brown, stirring frequently.
Return beef mixture to skillet; continue to cook 2 to 4 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

Next it says to combine yogurt and hot sauce, in small bowl.  This step I left out.  I have these kids that see something red and assume it is hot.  A new recipe and a red sauce would not have went over well at my house. 

Evenly divide beef mixture into tortillas, if desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve with yogurt mixture, as desired.


My Sweet Potato Lover gave this recipe 2 thumbs up.  My meat and potatoes man also likes his cheese and wishes I would have given him some shredded cheese, because, "It's not right to have taco meat without cheese."   It was very good and I liked the sweet potatoes as a lower fat replacement for cheese.  Next time, I will have the shredded cheese out for those that don't have to watch their calorie intake as much.

What kid friendly new food fare have you tried at your house lately?  What is one food that you thought the kids would turn up their noses at that they have devoured?  My parents gave me unsweetened grapefruit juice when I was a baby just to see the face I would make.  Much to their dismay I loved it.

Have a great week!

-A Kansas Farm Mom

Sweet Potato Beef Mash-Up

Total Recipe Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Sweet Potato Beef Mash-Up -- Ground Beef and sweet potato chunks get wrapped up in a whole-wheat tortilla.
Ground Beef and sweet potato chunks get wrapped up in a whole-wheat tortilla.

INGREDIENTS


1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
1/2 cup water, divided
4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix, divided
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup Greek or regular nonfat yogurt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Chopped fresh cilantro
Small whole wheat flour tortillas (6 to 7-inch diameter), warmed (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings. Stir in 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning; cook 3 minutes. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
  2. Combine sweet potatoes, onion, remaining 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning in same skillet. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once. Remove lid; stir in oil; continue cooking, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or until potatoes are tender and begin to brown, stirring frequently. Return beef mixture to skillet; continue to cook 2 to 4 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
  3. Meanwhile, combine yogurt and hot sauce, as desired, in small bowl.
  4. Evenly divide beef mixture into tortillas, if desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve with yogurt mixture, as desired.
  • Test Kitchen Tips
  • Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

Nutrition information per serving: 247 calories; 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 236 mg sodium; 8 g carbohydrate; 1.0 g fiber; 26 g protein; 6.3 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 2.8 mg iron; 18.3 mcg selenium; 6.0 mg zinc; 82.3 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron and choline.
Nutrition information per serving, using 1 small tortilla: 357 calories; 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 576 mg sodium; 25 g carbohydrate; 5.0 g fiber; 29 g protein; 6.3 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 2.8 mg iron; 18.3 mcg selenium; 6.0 mg zinc; 82.3 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron and choline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.