Pin It button on image hover

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Recycled Christmas Ornaments for Kids to Make

I am a huge believer in repurposing items around the house and farm.  My husband has rolled his eyes given me the look like I have lost my mind more than once when I have told him my ideas.  As I was getting out my Christmas decorations after Thanksgiving, I thought maybe others might want to see some of my favorite repurposed decorations.

A few years back, I found this idea (I think on Family Fun).  I spray painted puzzle pieces green and cut cardboard in the shape of wreaths and trees.  The kids glued the pieces on and used glitter glue to decorate.  My boys are not into bling, so I am sure a girl would make a prettier ornament.  It's a great way to use those puzzle that are missing pieces that every house seems to have.
 As a believer in the 4-H program developing public speakers, I have had the privilege of judging talks for many years in different counties.  One of my favorite items I saw made one year was a Christmas tree made from an old bed spring.  I passed the idea onto another 4-H member who made me this tree in return.  Of course, if you aren't into cowboy items, you could decorate to suit your tastes.
 My favorite decorations are the button trees that I have made grandmother's buttons.  We started with a 12 inch tree that isn't overly bushy.  Actually, the super bushy trees get too full.  We hot glued the buttons on the tip of each branch and then stuffed the tree with this gold glittered baby's breath like floral.
 If you are lucky when you are sorting through the buttons, you can find buttons that look like a star like I did here...
 and here.  Well, actually I think this was one of her broaches, but I still like it. 

I am looking for ideas for the boys to make this year.  Do you have any suggestions?  Please leave them in the comments.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.