Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

I Have Dyslexia- BBR



October is Dyslexia Awareness Month.  If you have followed me very long, you know that Dyslexia has touched our family in ways I never expected.  Last year, I shared quite a bit about our family’s journey through dyslexia. I have also written several book reviews, but not one on a book about Dyslexia for the kids that it affects...until today. 

Dr. Hurford at Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, Kansas has recently released a new book for young readers suffering from dyslexia titled I Have Dyslexia.  Dr. Hurford specializes in Dyslexia training and tutoring through CARRD, Inc, the Center for Research, Evaluation, and Awareness of Dyslexia, and Reading Center.


My youngest son who has worked very hard to overcome dyslexia thinks this book is great.  I love that it starts by sharing some of the individuals who have dyslexia, such as, Steven Spielburg, Jennifer Anniston and the author of Captain Underpants.   

Dr. Hurford covers why it is so hard to learn how to read and that with the correct tools and practice reading can get easier.

I love that the book shares that we all have things we are good at and that is totally OK.  My son has read the book several times to me and by himself.  Any way to get him to feel better about his reading ability is great!

The book is available in both a boy and girls version.  I would say it was a hit with him.

You can order the book through Amazon. Here is the link to the boy version and the girl version.  It is even available for the Kindle!  

My son's "boy" version is hidden in his room, but I also have a girl version that I would like to give away.  Leave a comment here or on my Facebook page about someone you know with Dyslexia.  I am sure you know someone or suspect someone since 1 in 5 people struggle with Dyslexia everyday.
I will pick the winner and notify them on November 1st in my November Country Fair Blog Party post.

-A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.