Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wheat Chili

It is National Agriculture Week and in case you missed my thank you to you the consumers it can be found here.   My What's for Dinner Wednesday I had planned took a change in direction with the cooler temperatures this week.

I was going to share some quick and easy fudge this week or a more Spring like recipe, but then it decided to snow on Monday and I thought I better not test Mother Nature any further.  I found this recipe in the wonderful cookbook that (my movie star friend) Tracy sent me for the Christmas in the Country Gift Exchange.

It was both easy and yummy.  I made it along with my Mom's Disappearing Beef Stew for the 4-H Soup Supper Fundraiser and I actually had someone track me down to tell me how good it was.  It definitely is a way to add whole grains to your kids plates bowls. I usually don't have wheat laying around the house, but the boys had exhibited some at the County Fair and it was still in the house.

Speaking of County Fairs, have you checked out this week's Country Fair Blog Party?  Head over today and tomorrow to vote for your favorite post.  There are some super cute DIY projects, a recipe post complete with TEN meals and some fun posts about the farms across the country. 

Wheat Chili


3 cups cooked wheat

4 cups water

1 pound ground beef

1 large onion

2 cloves garlic

1 green pepper, chopped

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) jar picante sauce or salsa

4 cups beef broth (or 4 bouillon cubes & 4 cups water)

1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans



Drain cooked wheat and rinse in cool water. 

Brown beef, pepper and onion together in large skillet.  Drain off fat.  Stir in remaining ingredients. 

Simmer uncovered, 1 hour or until desired consistency is reached. 

OR

The soup can also be heated in a crock pot.  Reduce the beef broth to 3 cups if using crockpot.

We like it served with corn chips, shredded cheese and even a little sour cream.  



From the U.S. Custom Harvesters, Inc 20th Anniversary Edition Cookbook



-A Kansas Farm Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.